Charisma Redux (I’m an Asshole)

If you think I’m a jerk in writing, you should meet me in person. I am WAY worse. All kinds of rude and inappropriate things spew forth from my mouth on a regular basis. That’s in large part why (as a general rule) I like to write. I’m usually a little better on paper. And trust me, that says more about my ability to speak than my ability to write.

So my Charisma post was potentially offensive in that you might have concluded (legitimately, based on my words) that I think if you’re single, you must be lacking in charisma. That is not what I think. Let there be no mistake. That would just be dumb. I am not dumb (mostly), just lacking in eloquence. Hard.

Charisma is not the right word. By its very definition, charisma is rare. You can’t divide the world into two categories along the lines of charisma. If you did, the world would be very unevenly divided and it would certainly not have anything to do with who’s married or who’s single.

So what was I trying to say? For starters, I think loneliness as well as happiness is a state of mind. When it comes down to how we feel as humans on a regular basis, when it comes down to what makes us happy and what makes us sad, it might have nothing to do with how or whether we’ve paired up. Sometimes loneliness is not about how many people share a house with you. I wanted to say that single, married, we are human together. Sometimes my single friends long to be partnered and sometimes my married friends long to be single, but ironically, both sides are often looking to solve the same feelings of loneliness.

I think my failure in the last post was to generalize. I started to theorize about people when honestly, I don’t know squat about people in general. All I know is my own experience. And in my little world, staying together is far more difficult than getting together. I am married and my husband and I work very hard to sustain what we have. I already have one failed marriage behind me. And sadly, that is who I come from: my mother, my father, my sister, my paternal aunt, uncle and grandfather: all married two or more times. That’s hard to say out loud.

So I guess, when I say it’s easier to get together than to stay together, I am not making some profound generalization about humanity. I’m talking about myself. It’s hard for ME. It’s terrifying. Maybe I can’t do it. Maybe I just don’t have it in me.

I was at a happy hour once with my friends Babs and Dipu (who are both single and fabulous) and I said something along the lines of “It’s not getting together that’s so hard; it’s staying together.” They both corrected me immediately and with a good bit of fervor. They said getting together was not so simple. It’s hard to find a good match: someone who’s intelligent enough, interesting enough, fun enough, and with whom you have chemistry on top of everything else. I buy that. That makes perfect sense. But you know what? At the risk of being a complete asshole, I confess: that was never hard for me. Does that make me charismatic? No. Better than my single friends? No. Not even close. I just seem to have other (huge) things to overcome. And maybe wording it the way I did in the last post allowed me to feel a little better about myself on a subconscious level.

Getting together has never been hard for me. I can walk into a restaurant or a coffee shop or another country and meet someone when I want to. I can see how good they are inside, find what I think I need in them, and fall in love if that’s what I’m ready to do. It’s sustaining that love over time that seems to be my issue. Maybe it’s everyone’s issue. It’s certainly easier to say it’s hard for everyone than to look in the mirror and say it’s just hard for me.

But there it is.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,

I am 26 years old, (funny I always think I am a year or two older than I am). I feel you, its hard to stay married. But I think I was over-committed in the dating phase and should have bailed but felt afraid I'd never find anyone. My self-esteem must have been low and despite 5 years of dating, I felt I couldn't get out and married an asshole who makes me think I am the crazy one. I feel so unloved, the worst part is the lack of trust I have in him, he'd betray me to my parents, cause division with my siblings and myself. Despite his total lack of untrustworthiness and unsupport of me I try loving him everyday. I hadn't cried in years, I didn't know how, but now I feel defeated, trapped, with no control over my life and cry bitterly. He doesn't support me and now I have moved to the opposite side of the world to his country. Despite the hard months of adjusting I have not had a day yet in 3 months that I could write about in my journal as positive as something I'd want my children to read. I had so many hopes dashed. I am just trying to get through life and do what is right. We don't have children, I would love to be loved and to love children....but it doesn't seem right for us to have children. If he can't love me,surely he won't be able to hug or kiss and give them attention. I am a strong woman, if I were alone I'd be so much stronger and enjoy sharing my love with others. Its hard when you place all your hope in love in one person who is oblivious. God bless you, he hears my prayers and cries. I know I have made mistakes but I pray he will provide strength and encouragement for me. Sorry about my sap story, I just want human interaction. I have no friends and long to take my life but I am gutless. I send you my love. Do you think its possible to make it work? I can change me, but I can't change him.

Popular Posts