Just In Case I Was Feeling Too Good About Myself...

Have I mentioned that I started taking karate with my son? Sheesh. In case you don't know me that well, I'm not really the karate type. But Eli asked. And asked. And asked. And asked some more. So finally I gave in.
And so tonight, just when I was feeling like maybe not the newest 40 year old fat lady in a class full of 10 year-olds with infinite energy, I got the hang of, well, yelling.
"Huuugh!" and "Aaayyyyy" and "Haaayy-Yaaaaahh!" all just started rolling off my tongue. Felt good, actually.
So I belted out what I thought would be an exceptional "YES SIR!!" at what I thought would be the right moment. Only I was the only one talking (screaming) in the middle of a quiet room full of 10 year-olds who suddenly were all staring at me like I was, well, the newest 40 year old fat lady in a class full of 10 year-olds with infinite energy.
God. I was embarrassed to say the least.
If you know me at all, you know that my default reaction to situations like these is to laugh hysterically at myself until the uncomfortable people around me finally give in and start laughing too. Only that doesn't work in an environment built around self-discipline, inner strength, and control. I know that. Logically-speaking.
I knew then too that I should do something different from my default behavior. That however has nothing to do with what I did.
I did what I always do. I laughed hysterically at myself, in a stifled and muffled way, until the uncomfortable 10 year-olds around me finally looked away in hopes that I would please, please, be silent. And eventually I was.
The beautiful thing about being 40 in a room full of 10 year-olds is that I didn't care. Er, I didn't care that much. Thank God.
After class, sweet Eli said to me without being prompted, "It's OK mom. It happens..."
Lena, on the other hand, much like her mother, could not control her laughter. For a good 30 minutes after, she repeatedly put herself in the bowing position and screamed, "YES SIR!" followed by helpless cackling. It was beyond her control. Mine too. So much for self-discipline, inner strength, and control. I'd rather laugh...

Comments

Steph. D. said…
I hadn't clicked over here in awhile and I didn't know you were still writing. This made me laugh out loud because I can just see you, my darling friend, containing your giggles. Wish I had been there to giggle with you!
bjpt said…
Amen, Sistah. You're brilliant. And so are the wee ones. xxxooo

Popular Posts