Tip to Daycare Workers Who Answer the Phones

When a concerned mother of two children calls to check in on her children on their first day of pre-school, do NOT ask her, even in your most cheerful, most sympathetic, most caring, most understanding, most helpful voice, I repeat do NOT ask her, "Who do you want to check on first?"

The last thing she needs when she is already bedraggled by the day's events, guilt-ridden about the goodbye, exhausted from the search for the right school, clinched about the mortgage-sized tuition check her husband wrote, consumed with worry that her children will not be thriving as much as they could be had she made some other only slightly different decision, paranoid (albeit subconsciously and illogically so) that her children are naked, shivering, and bleeding in a ditch on the perimeter of the pre-school property, I repeat the LAST thing she needs on top of all that, is to be presented with Sophie's Choice.

Good grief.

Comments

Crazy MomCat said…
Fear not, oh newbie pal of mine to preschool (we should chat on this more). The phone answerers at MDO are NOT the people caring for your children. There is a reason they put them on the phone. (No disrespect to anyone here...but I've found that to be totally true.)

Hang in there! Email me if you have questions about this whole world. I've graduated with one of my kids and about to enter with my second for the first time. If my daughter doesn't try to tell all the teachers how to stack their blocks and eat their lunches, I'll be in OK shape I think. HA!
Anonymous said…
First of all, hilarious! Every Mother who ever dropped off her children on that first dreadful day can certainly empathize. You'll get through it; just hang in there. And I want to hear all about it!
Nicole said…
LOL! I cracked up just reading your title. Hang in there! They'll do great. Take a deep breath and relax. They will make new friends and have broader horizons...

Popular Posts