Everyone should get their own square
Many years ago, I took a trip to Disney World. During this trip, I
was plagued by the ridiculous rushed clamor of perfect strangers who apparently
wanted desperately to get wherever they were going: to Cinderella’s Castle, to
Splash Mountain, to Epcot Center, just to the front of the line, or one step
closer anyway. I was profoundly disturbed by the complete lack of personal
space I was afforded by strangers. It seemed
that I was surrounded by weird people at every turn. People with no personal
space boundaries. All I wanted was the same personal space as the average guy.
How much space is that? I thought it would be good to know. So I looked it up.
According to Edward T. Hall, an American anthropologist and
researcher, most “normal” people have a kind of standard of personal space that
surrounds them. And by “normal,” I mean people without autism or injuries to
the amygdala or other physical or social anomalies. I appreciate him for pointing this out,
although I wonder if my boundaries are slightly outside what he labels as usual
for us Americans.
Hall decided that our most personal or “intimate” space extends from
our physical bodies to about eighteen inches out from us. If you can’t easily
imagine how far that is, I will tell you because I measured it. Eighteen inches
is easily within arm’s reach for me and I have arms to scale the size of a Tyrannosaurus
Rex. Basically, I would consider eighteen inches very, very intimate indeed. I
would not want anyone in that space, in my personal invisible bubble, unless I explicitly invited them.
Imagine an old-fashioned target and that you are standing right at
bull’s-eye. According to Hall, the first little circle surrounding the bull’s-eye
(you) would be considered intimate
space. The next concentric ring extends to about 4 feet out and is called personal space. He calls the next circle
social space and it extends to 12
feet and the final larger circle reaches about 25 feet and is called public space.
In my opinion, strangers belong in public space and public space
only and thus should be a minimum of 12 feet away from me at all times. This however
is much harder said than done and I have made peace with the fact that when I
am at the grocery store or the pharmacy or hospital or school or in any average
consumer or professional situation, strangers will likely invade my personal space
without malicious intent.
Most personal interactions and business transactions admittedly require
an exchange of some sort and so it does make sense that the people involved be
within 4 feet of one another. I get that. So when a stranger in these
situations is within 4 feet of me, I don’t panic. I don’t complain to them. I
don’t like it mind you, but I expect it to happen. I deal with it and move on.
However, when there is a perfect stranger standing within my personal
space or worse my intimate space and we have no plans to interact in any way, that’s
just too damn close. It’s not necessary. And I don’t like it one bit.
So as you might imagine, Disney World was thick with strangers, dense with bubble-bursting
people I had never seen nor heard of and had no business with. And I could not get away from them, no matter
how I tried. Standing in line all day, I could feel the breath of strangers on
my hair. I could feel their shoulders against mine or their backpacks or purses
or even fanny packs pushing up against me. Had they no bounds? Clearly they did not. At first I would just
inch away from them, hoping they would get it. But every time I moved away,
they inched in closer to me. I tried making eye contact to see if I could push them
back with my eyes. Not surprisingly, that didn’t work.
Finally at the end of a long day, my (now, ex-) husband and I
stood in front of some particularly pushy line-goer who shoved himself right up
against me. I tried multiple times to escape. I moved up, but he in turn moved
up. I moved left and scooted closer to my
husband but he filled the gap. I moved to the right and he closed in behind me
until I couldn’t take it any more. Exasperated, I
shouted “Everyone should get their own square!”
By “square,” I meant the lovely cobblestones we were
standing on. I’m guessing they were about 24 inches squared and were thus perfectly
sized to accommodate my special requirements. The stranger of course looked at
me like I was crazy and backed away slightly, although I’m sure he had no idea
what I was actually talking about.
In the end, my outburst did not get me what I wanted.
Any temporary personal space that opened up was soon filled in by other
space-greedy line-goers. But my husband and I got a really good laugh out of
it. Yes, I had the presence of mind to realize that my demand was absurd. And
between my husband and me, “Everybody should get their own square” became a kind
of mantra to mean that I was feeling claustrophobic, or that I was not being
tended to properly by the strangers around me, or that the outer world was
simply not meeting my requirements. It became a funny way for me to remind
myself (or perhaps more often for my husband to remind me) that the demands I
made upon the world, the things that I considered basic human societal “norms” were sometimes, possibly not the norm at all.
It turns out that sometimes when we think we’re
surrounded by weird people at every turn, it’s a good idea to consider the
possibility that the weird people around you might agree with one another. It
turns out that my personal space boundaries really are different than the
average guy’s. It turns out that I’m the weird one. What do you know? I want
MORE personal space than the average guy wants. Doesn’t make it any easier. But
it’s good to know.

Comments